Saturday, April 5, 2014

The weekend is off to a great start

Yesterday...

After a long work week, I could not get myself to wake up yesterday morning for my swim. I woke up but felt under the weather and decided to stay in instead. The week has been rough with the move to my new place, and sometimes staying in and getting an extra hour or sleep is better than pushing through another training session.

Can't skip 2 sessions in a row...

Last night I got home around 6:30 and prepared for a tough brick with 90' interval ride, followed by a 15min run in my aerobic zone. I got on the trainer around 7pm, after pouring approximately 300 calories between Carbo Pro and EFS (I am trying different flavors at the moment, and I have to say that EFS lime is pretty good, especially when it's cold). After 30' at an easy wattage, I had 10x3' at 103% of FTP (Functional Threshold Power), increasing by 1-2 watts after each interval. The legs burnt and my HR was through the roof in the last 4 intervals. I managed to get the 1-2 watt increase after each set, but had no juice left for the 15min cool down.
The 15-min tempo felt good. I expected it to be much harder, but after taking a look at my 310XT, I saw that my average pace was only around 7:20min/mile.

Today...

Nice and sunny out with temperatures reaching 50-53 degrees in the Liberty State Park. Though it made for a tougher run, I could careless about the wind as I was too happy to finally run in the sun! I got 85 minutes in with a 15-min warm up at an easy pace (zone 2), and 70 minutes in my zone 3. I felt good, and I think taking nutrition (around 300 calories in my fuel belt) helped in the last 15-20min.
I wrapped up the day with 6 striders before going to Connecticut this afternoon to hang out with Will, aka the guy who got me hooked onto the sport! Can't wait to see him and his family!

No comments:

Post a Comment