Friday, April 25, 2014

Lititz Training Camp Day #2

Day #2 of training and a long ride in the books! We rode 119 miles total and climbed 10,500 feet. 

After a good first day of training yesterday, I expected more soreness and tired muscles, but I felt great.
We had a long ride scheduled today, with a 20-30 min cool-down swim after. After a big breakfast with baked oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurt, and coffee, we started the day around 8:30 and rode towards Columbia and across Susquehanna River.
Our first hill came in early, at around mile 25 with Turkey Hill, a nice, steady, steep 2-mile hill. We then rode our favorite section of the ride, a flat, fast section along the river, and right before crossing the bridge to get to the other side of the river.
We climbed some more hills before reaching the highlight of the day with the highest (as we claim it to be) peak in Lancaster County, 80 miles into the ride. A fun, 1.5 mile climb that starts easy and has 2 massive walls in the last section, with the first one to average 23% gradient, while the top of the second one averaged 26%. Needless to say the legs burnt, but it was one of those burns that I was looking for. I knew I was working hard, and that it will only
make me stronger in the long run. I enjoyed it a lot!

Nutrition to the rescue!

The rest of the ride was a succession of hills, up and down Lancaster county. One of us started feeling weaker, so we slowed down the pace. I carried an extra PowerBar Performance Energy Blasts and gave it to him. it helped him a lot! We hate the whole 8-9 chews in 2-3 minutes, which totaled 200 calories (give or take, we took in 100 calories each). We washed it down with few sips of energy drinks, and he felt much better almost immediately,  allowing him to rally home. I love these chews! There are easy to chew and taste great (all flavors I tasted were delicious). The sugar and calories kick in right away, and with some water or energy drink to help wash it down, it is the best combination I could find to get the extra boost of energy I needed during this ride. My friend clearly loved it too.

We wrapped up the day with a 20-minute swim and 1,200 yards. Needless to say a good stretch was much appreciated. Quads, calves, and IT bands were tight, but was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment