Saturday, March 8, 2014

So much for my rest day: 4 hours & 72+ miles on the roadie

Ride: Blueberry-peach muffin / Large Chocolate ride
Distance: 72.5 miles
Elevation Gain: 3,000 feet
Time: 3:57
Power: N/A (on my roadie)
Bike: Specialized Tarmac SL Pro 2009
Cadence: N/A (on my roadie)

Rode with a Texan (Glenn) and a Brazilian (Raph)

Me making fun of Raph after
he got a flat
I should know better! Today was supposed to be a rest day, i.e., no training! Well, the sunny 50F weather was too tempting to stay in today. After a rough winter (and it is still cold out there), I was getting a bit frustrated with the idea of riding the trainer. The roads looked fairly safe for once, and my desire to ride my roadie was itching.

So I agreed to ride with Glenn and Raph on what was supposed to be a short ride to Spoon (about 28 miles north), grab a blueberry-peach muffin, a large chocolate, and head back. Spoon makes the best hot chocolate, and their blueberry-peach muffins hit the spot every single time. I must admit, it's probably not the healthiest option, and I will most likely have to cut it short soon, but for now, I indulge and enjoy every bite.

We left Hoboken at 7am and headed north towards Nyack. I took this opportunity to ride my roadie, which I haven't since I got hit by a car back in October. I figured I'd sit back and relax behind those two to coast to Nyack. A roadie is a lot slower than a TT, so we know that whoever is riding the roadie in the group will have it easy that day! :)

surprising to see we were the only
ones at Spoon this am! and we
won't complain about it! 
Everything went according to plan (minus the flat that Raph got 35 minutes into the ride), but when we got to Spoon, G and R wanted to ride some more, so we pushed further towards Rockland Lake, rode around Deforest Lake, and headed back home. What a fun ride! We saw kids walking and playing on the icy Rockland lake, and also saw a coyote walking on the iced-covered Deforest Lake few minutes later. We tried to turn around and take a picture, but he was already walking away towards the woods. Glenn's comment reminded me how different our experiences/backgrounds can be: "we don't get to see that down in TX"! frozen lakes are common back in the French Alps, and although it took me by surprise to hear that from him, it also reminded me how different our background and experiences can be.

So instead of sleeping in and relaxing in front of the tv, I ended up riding 72.5 miles and got home around 11:45, right on time to drop off the paperwork for my new apartment! Move in date: April 1st!
Glenn, aka the powerhouse!
(aka the Texan)

No comments:

Post a Comment