Saturday, March 22, 2014

3rd OA and 1st AG at the Queens Half Marathon

Today's results
Total distance: 13.22 miles
Time: 1:20:18
Avg pace: 6:04
Avg HR: 170
46F feel like 42 Overcast 61% humidity

March 2013
Total distance: 13.22 miles
Time: 1:22:53
Avg pace: 6:17
Avg HR: 168
37 feels like 29 Sunny 44% humidity

What a great run today!

I did not know what to expect, and certainly had no ambitions to beat last year's PR of 1:22:53. I was looking to get back into the race atmosphere, and push myself like I always do. It's been a rough winter so far, with the foot injury lingering until the tail end of January, and bitter cold conditions that limited my runs and rides. It got more and more difficult to cope with the weather, and my patience has started to run thinner.
So this race came at the right time! Arriving at the race site and feeling the adrenaline, anxiety, and excitement of all athletes was fantastic. It turned out to be a beautiful day, despite the strong winds that made it a chilly day. I really can't complain if we compare with what the NYC half marathoners had to deal with (wind and sub 30F temperatures). I decided to wear my shorts instead of my running tights.

I felt great throughout the run, started slow to avoid burning myself out too quickly. I was able to build up my pace to progress towards a close-to or sub 6min/mile pace in the last 5 miles. The winds were strong, but my confidence really grew as I started passing more runners. I quickly found myself in 3rd, and held onto it from mile 10 to the finish.

Great race overall! I highly recommend it!

I'll write up a more detailed race report soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment