Sunday, March 9, 2014

Brick training: Success!

My coach was not very delighted to hear that I rode yesterday, but he had to know. Rest days are extremely important, and by riding instead of taking it easy, I accumulated more fatigue than I should have. I had a 3+ hour ride with specific targets to hit, followed by a 45-min Brick run at high tempo.

The ride went really well. The first hour was slow, but the dry road and the sun really made up for it. I had to stay in a specific training zone, which I did, before jumping into a 2+ hour interval at a high training zone. That was the most important to me. The speed doesn't matter much as numerous factors can affect it (wind, road conditions, fatigue level, etc). I was right on the whole time, with good legs and good form. It was my first real ride where I spent about 85% of it on the aero bars. My neck was sore, but it's just a matter of going out there and getting more rides in before I'm fully comfortable again.
I got home after 3 1/4 hours, changed, and headed out for my 45 min run in high tempo zone. I felt great. It took me about 1 mile to get into it, but after that I felt great, felt I had a good form, and most importantly, I felt I could have kept it for a little while. I did 6.66 miles, which averaged 6:45min/mile overall! These numbers look good! I can't wait to ride and run in warmer temperatures!

No comments:

Post a Comment