Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Some training updates & my next race...

Training has been going well. Oceanside 70.3 took a lot more out of me than I expected, and not just physically. I was more mentally exhausted than I was physically (don't get me wrong, race soreness was real for few days!). For three days I did not really want to get back to training. It was laborious. Motivation kicked in again the following Wednesday when I started to feel a bit better, and by Thursday I felt like I was mentally ready to get back into it. I definitely wasn't fully physically recovered.

And Kev (Tricoach) got me right back in it with a tempo run on the following Friday, followed by a long-ish ride on Saturday, and some open water swims here and there. My legs felt ten times heavier than a week ago, but mentally I was happy to train again and put in some work for St George.

St George, UT
The build to St George 70.3 

Intensity and volume have both ramped up quite a bit. My training volume is about the same as last year when I trained for Ironman. The big difference is that 1) I'm only racing 70.3s this season and 2) the intensity is kicking my rear! In between tempo runs, track workouts, long swim sets, Sufferfest interval trainer rides and long rides, my plate was full, and energy was very low at times. Rest days could not come fast enough, but overall I feel good with where my fitness level is as I have been able to be consistent with my training since February. My run has improved since January, and that showed at Oceanside, so has my swim.
At Nytro Multisport, Encinitas, CA

I am feeling better on the bike too. I have been spending a lot more time in the aero position and it is starting to feel more natural now. #workinprogress

The only changes I am making to my training is incorporating more climbing both on my rides and runs, doing some intervals run sets on hilly terrain. I am continuing to swim the same volume I did before Oceanside, and Kevin maintained key interval sets on the trainer and on the track to make sure we get some hard intensity efforts in. And those hurt. I am still intimidated by his intervals sets because I know how much each of them takes out of me, but I also look forward to each of them as I know they will make be a better runner and cyclist in the long run. And Kevin and I both know how much I need to improve :)


 

St George 70.3 

As always, this race attracts some of the best triathletes in the world, and this year's edition is no exception. Lionel Sanders, Sebastian Kienle, Tim Don, Brent McMahon, Ben Hoffman, Joe Gambles, Kevin Collington, Andreas Raelert, Trevor Wurtele, and this year A. Brownlee, the 2016 Olympic Gold medalist will be racing too...I could go on and on, but you get the point, the race is stacked with fantastic athletes, and I am excited to toe the line with these guys.

The only expectation I have is to give it my very best on the day and learn as much as I can. That is the only goal I have for this race, and essentially for this season. 

2017 NA Pro Championship Start List 
Happy training all!

No comments:

Post a Comment