Thursday, June 8, 2017

Wedded and back at it!

May has been a busy month!

After St George 70.3, the next big day was our wedding, and what a FUN day it was! Family, friends, great venue, food, and vino, and to top it all off, amazing weather made for an incredible day!


We took a few days off to travel with my parents to the Grand Canyon National Park, and what a stunner it was! It really helped put things into perspective when you're confronted with the grandeur of this wonder, making me realize that there is so much to see and explore in this world, yet I often find myself worrying too much about petty things. What I mean by that is that making the decision to go pro and give it a shot is something I should not doubt, but rather embrace. My main objectives are to see how far my body and mind will allow me to go, as well as hopefully motivate some people to embrace a more active life and pick up endurance sports. 


And so training has started again!

This week is the first of a two-week preparation block for Mt Tremblant 70.3. The first 3 days were tough, with some long, hard runs, a very hard bike interval set yesterday followed by a tough brick, and a long swim yesterday afternoon. There's more to come this weekend, but overall I am excited to be back on the bike (my favorite of all three!), and excited to get back in the pool and back on a track. 

Focus on nutrition and Rest and Recovery

Nutrition and R&R will be a major focus for the next 10-12 weeks. Of course, swimming, biking, and running are the obvious, but I noticed that I was more fatigued that usual despite not training as much nor as hard as early March and April. A quick analysis on what could be the root cause quickly pointed at my nutrition and R&R. With the family in town and the wedding festivities going on for few days, I allowed myself to enjoy some vino, cervezas, and some serious barbecue actions. I needed it, but now is the time to refocus on the essentials!
The next few months are going to be exciting. Mt Tremblant is in a little over 2 weeks, and soon after that Calgary 70.3 and  Boulder 70.3 will keep me busy this summer. I'll wrap up the summer racing with Santa Cruz 70.3 if my body allows it. 

Focus on having fun!

I need to not lose sight of the essential here, which is to have fun! Keeping this into perspective has helped me wake up early, go on long rides, and crush my legs at a track. This is what I consider the most important pillar of this first year as a pro athlete. So let's have fun, train hard, train smart, and enjoy the process while being uber safe! There has been too many posts on social media of athletes being fatally involved in bike/car accidents lately. Be safe, all and happy training!  



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing these great swimming tips. It would be helpful for the swimming lovers. For more querries, visit @ Dimitris Cosvogiannis

    ReplyDelete