Saturday, May 10, 2014

New toys for this season: Hawk Racing Tubular wheels!



With Hawk Racing kindly helping me this season with my race wheels, I had a tough decision to make: should I stay with clinchers or give tubulars a shot? It is a tricky decision to make because I have ridden with clinchers my entire life (and by life I mean in the past 4 years). Clinchers give you the comfort of knowing what to do in case you get a flat tire, it is easy to maintain and replace, and doesn't require much practice. On roads like the ones we have here around New York, riding clinchers make more sense because we are more subject to a puncture (roads are terrible!). Plus, from the wallet standpoint, clincher tires are cheaper than tubulars.

My new set of speed demon tubular wheels
Tubulars, on the other end, are a lot trickier and require a LOT more work. I am saying all this, but I don't know much about tubulars yet. Give me a few months to learn more and I'll probably laugh at how little I actually knew :)
Learning the technique of gluing a tubular tire, having the patience of going through the 3-day long process, and acquiring the right technique to glue the tire onto the rim are a lot to take on. On top of this, learning the technique of removing the tire and changing it in race conditions takes even more time...I presume. 

After asking my friends and training partners, I found myself in the same situation: what should I do? All of them have valid arguments, and neither of them felt strongly about one or the other. Both have pros and cons, but for some of my friends, learning how to replace a tubular and the daunting process of gluing a tire makes clinchers a better option. I was still curious to give it a shot, but I can't deny it, I was/am anxious about the unknown risks of using tubulars. I had the chance to "chat" with Frederick Van Lierde on Twitter (yup, you read it right, the 2013 Ironman World Champion), and he kindly gave me his perspective, saying that "............" Sorry, I can't finish this sentence... Bottom line is, he rides tubulars. 


Veyron 80 (front and rear) and 55 tubular wheels!
My discussion with Sven
Ultimately, I spoke to Sven Folmer, the founder of Hawk Racing, and his view was clear: Tubulars are the best wheels you can find out there. The rolling resistance is less than with clinchers, and repairing a tire does not take more time, if anything less, it takes less time than with clinchers. In addition, tubulars remove the risk of pinch flats since the inner tube is sowed into the tire itself, and are significantly more resistant to flats. 
The only downside is that you'll have to carry an extra tubular tire with you on race day (they are more resistant to flat, not puncture-proof), which can be bulky and less aero. It will take more practice to perfect the technique. Tubular tires are also more expensive and you'll also need glue, but as Mariesa says, practice makes perfect. 

Sven convinced me to get tubular wheels, and after talking with him, I pulled the trigger. Not only did I get a pair of Veyron 80T, but I also got a Veyron V55 in the front for the climbs of Zurich. 

I am thrilled and anxious at the same time, but I feel like you have to make those decisions sometimes. I do believe that it is a good decision, and that with practice I will be more comfortable with the idea of riding tubulars. Who knows, maybe I'll train on tubulars one day :) 

First Impressions...

Veyron V55T Front wheel glued! 
They look amazing! They are incredibly light, and the finish touches look amazing. Of course all I can say for now is about the aesthetic of the wheels, but I cannot imagine them not being great on the tarmac. Matty Reed now rides on Hawk Racing, which proves that the brand is making its way to the creme de la creme in triathlon. And not to mention, they are MADE IN USA! I cannot wait to try them out at Harryman Olympic triathlon next week. 

And of course, a huge thank you to Sven for all the swags that came with the order: T-shirt, Ipad holder, and a great wheel bag! THANK YOU! Let's play with them, now! 

You can check my first attempt at gluing my wheels by clicking on the below links...please don't judge :) I'm a rookie! 

Gluing the rim right before putting the tubular on: http://youtu.be/p8U8fwPcjYE

Finally putting the tubular tire on after 3 days:  http://youtu.be/gTFsfXcQnXk 

No comments:

Post a Comment