Saturday, May 10, 2014

"Hot" and humid out today!

3 1/2 hours on the bike when it's 65 fahrenheit felt like a hot day...it's all relative of course, but compared to the 30-40F temperatures we've been having, 65 felt like 80, and it felt good! 
It was foggy this morning around 6:30am. My weather app of my Iphone indicated 100%, but no rain. The roads were wet and slippery, but that was it. I had a mechanical issue with the bike 45 minutes into the ride. The magnet of the powermeter was dislodged. It took me about 20 minutes to get it fixed, but it saved the day. No power means approximative training, and with 4 weeks to go before Eagleman, that was not the best. 
I pushed a lot more in the 2nd and 3rd hour of the ride than I usually do, focusing on getting as close to the target wattage I'll be shooting for at Eagleman as possible. Nutrition was key. I planned it and prepared it last night, and had a light breakfast this morning. I've been using Powerbar's new wafers lately and have to say that they are delicious, and they work. I tried their Chocolate-Peanut butter ones in the third hour of the ride (I am not a big fan of peanut butter), but it tasted great. 
I got home feeling great, but it was already 76 degrees out, and though the humidity dropped a notch, it still felt hot, humid, and heavy out. 

My 30-min run went well, though I could feel the impact the heat had on my body. I felt good, but it required more work from my heart to maintain a decent pace than it has in the last month. All good though, this training was great! A good opportunity to get a taste of what Eagleman in 28 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment