Saturday, June 21, 2014

1st day of the Summer => Long ride...and the crank falls off

For my first long ride after Eagleman in the build up to Ironman Switzerland, I had 4 hours on the saddle followed by a brick run. I was really looking for it. I've been putting more time on the trainer after Glenn's horrible accident last week. I'm still shaken up by it, especially knowing that he got hit very close to where I got hit last October.

3 1/2 hours into my ride, I noticed my crank started squeaking more and more, and getting looser on me. It was a strange feeling to pedal and feel the crank being shaky, wobbly almost. You know something is wrong when your crank moves around when you apply lateral pressure on it.

I got lucky that there was a bike shop on my way back, and that the road was flat. I rode extremely slowly and finally made it to the shop, where they took it apart, cleaned it up, greased it, and put it back together. Not the way you want your long ride to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment