Wednesday, November 5, 2014

1st Week back after 7 weeks off

St Maarten
It's been close to 8 weeks since my last race and a much needed break. During those 8 weeks I enjoyed a nice "bike, wetsuit, running shoes - free" vacation in St Maarten where it was all about enjoying the island, the food, and relax. But I didn't sped 8 weeks there, otherwise, I'd probably come back to NY jobless. We spent 5 days there, 5 good days.

Few muffin rides on the road bike, which I missed riding! Easy pace, no focus on the computer to make sure I was hitting my targets, just the
basic and good old riding. More outings with work and friends, and yes, few beers and glasses of wine here and there. It's good to be social again.

But all this has to come to an end, and I have to say that I'm very excited about returning to training. Though I needed the break, I missed the morning (but not so much the evening) workouts.

Last week was the first week I had some drive to get back into it. With my left foot still not feeling well, I focused on getting back in the pool (I did not plan on going back until December) and getting back on the trainer. The first impression was "where did my fitness go??" I did not expect to lose that much in "only" 2 months.

In the pool, my lungs hurt, my legs couldn't kick, and I was spent after 1,000 yards. On the trainer, I could barely maintain a decent HR at 60% of my FTP. My HR went through the roof after only 10
min in my trainer ride.
I guess I did not expect my fitness to drop by that much, and with an exciting, yet heavy 2015 schedule, I need to get back into it. If anything, it gives me the motivation to get back closer to the level I was at in September before the Worlds. I'm hoping to get there by January or mid February.
Lots of things to improve from last year, especially on the run. Kevin Danahy, my coach (www.tricoach.us) will have to come up with a good plan!
Happy training all!

No comments:

Post a Comment