Sunday, June 30, 2013

1st OA at the Patanella's Doc & Sok sprint Triathlon

FIRST OVERALL WIN!

I didn't expect it to happen today as I am recovering from a cold (yes, in June!), and given the field, I thought I could probably get in Top 5, but the race proved me wrong...in a good way!

Time: 54'44

The swim was hard. I quickly burned myself out trying to keep up with Jesse. I had to slow down, did some breast strokes, and finished it completely exhausted.
But the hilly bike course saved me and helped me get back into the rythm and pace of the race. I started passing more and more athletes and felt stronger. I got into T2 in 3rd position, with Jamie right in front of me.
I knew his run was going to be affected by an injury he hasn't been able to get rid of, so I paced my run off of his, and to my surprise, I saw Jessee not too far ahead. I passed Jamie after 3/4 of a mile, and I knew the U turn would help me gauge Jesse's overall condition. As we approached the U-turn, I was only 50 yards behind, and felt like he probably wouldn't be able to push much harder today. I caught up with him in the downhill section and as I pushed harder as soon as I passed him and maintained the pace for a mile. I maintained pressure on the last climb before the finish line and cross the finish line in first position!

Great surprise, great feeling to finish first! I hope that will lead to other successes either this season or next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment